Are you looking to join the co-operative as a member?
While ACE does not offer direct ownership and membership, SPARK also known as Alberta Renewable Energy Co-operative (one of the founding members of ACE) provides ACE customers with the opportunity to become a member of their co-operative.
As a member-owner of SPARK, you will have direct involvement in SPARK as well as indirect involvement in ACE via the SPARK board of directors.
You don’t have to be member-owner, but why wouldn’t you?
Here are some of the perks of becoming a member-owner of SPARK:
- Look inside the hood and participate in how SPARK operates on the inside - Annual review and financial statements are presented at our Annual General Meeting (usually in the late spring) and we promise that you won’t see any million dollar executive salaries here!
- Exclusive discounts on ACE electricity and gas
- 70% of our yearly profits will be reinvested in renewable energy projects, and you can help decide how that is directed
- You’ll be entitled to a piece of our annual profits of SPARK
- The right to vote at our Annual General Meeting, elect your board of directors, or run for the board yourself
You decide on your level of involvement. You can simply pay your bills as you always have, knowing that you are enjoying some of the more competitive rates of electricity in the province and that you are contributing to an investment pool that is focused on reducing greenhouse gas emissions in Alberta. Or, you can get more involved, get your family and friends interested, lead a push for an investment idea, or run for the board of directors. Your level of engagement is up you. Talk about democracy!
Even more good news? It only takes TWO minutes to sign up as a member! Your membership share costs only $25 and is completely refundable should you decide to no longer be a SPARK member.
SPARK Membership Application
Alberta Renewable Energy Co-operative (AREC)
Terms and Conditions of Membership
As a member-owned business, you have a stake in our success. But best of all, you control your membership. You can be involved as much or as little as you like, from simply being an ACE customer to becoming a Board Director. Of course the more active you are, particularly in encouraging other customers to use our services, the greater the value of your membership. The more customers we have, the lower we will keep our costs and the higher amounts we will be able to reinvest or pay as patronage dividends.
Membership in AREC gives you:
- The right to attend and vote on resolutions brought forward at the cooperative’s Annual General Meeting or any special meetings of the cooperative, including approving the cooperative’s reinvestment strategies.
- The right to nominate or be nominated for the co-operative’s Board of Directors
- The right to receive an equitable share in patronage dividends (a percentage of our profits based on your level of business with us) if and when they are declared by the Board of Directors.
Rights and Responsibilities
- Members must be 18 years of age or older and be a customer in good standing with the cooperative and its related businesses.
- An individual or corporation may only hold one membership share in the co-operative.
- Corporate members must designate one individual as their representative. The individual designated as the contact person when applying for services to the co-operative shall be considered the designate, unless otherwise indicated in writing to the Board.
- Upon approval of membership, applicants will be emailed a copy of the co-operative’s bylaws and a share account will be set up in the member’s name in the co-operative’s ledger.
- Members wishing to terminate membership in the co-operative must do so in writing to the Board of the co-operative. Upon termination of membership, the co-operative will reimburse the full membership share.
By agreeing to these terms and conditions, you grant ACE the right to add $25.00 to your upcoming power bill as payment for your membership share. This share will be held in a share account under your name.
Please note that the AREC Board will review membership applications on a quarterly basis and reserves the right to reject any application at its discretion. In the unlikely event that your application is rejected, the full $25.00 membership fee shall be reimbursed.